Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lets Make A Difference!

I would like to make a direct plea to all of my friends who are in some sort of church leadership position. Now more then ever our churches need to publically promote tolerance. Christianity needs to work harder at promoting interreligious dialogue. I am not ignorant to the fact that many of your already do this. I would like to urge those who do to make this stance more public. Take ads out in the newspapers, put PSAs on the radio, television and at the movies. Hang signs in your neighborhoods. Intentionally make an effort to increase contact with people of all religions, and not for the sake of outreach, evangelism, debate or education but instead for the sake of reaching a hand out and saying “I respect you.”

As I said, I know that many of you are already doing this and understand the need much more then I do. Yesterday Terry Jones in Florida announced his “International Burn-a-Quran Day” scheduled for Sept. 11th. I am not asking for him to be silenced as he is protected by the first amendment. Instead I think it is disappointing that people like Terry Jones fills the pages of our newspapers when he is such a small voice within Christianity. I am asking for voices like this to be diminished by positivism coming out of our churches.

Next year Sept. 11th lands on a Sunday, that is just over a year from today. Now is the time to begin a campaign to promote the voice of peace. The Christian voice is a voice of power and privilege in America. Next year lets give that privilege up 100%. Lets find a way to show the rest of America and the world that not all Christians are intolerant bigots like Terry Jones. Next year at the ten-year “anniversary” of 9/11 lets find a way to give up our traditional Christian worship services for a day of service and community. Lets begin brainstorming ways to show that we love and care for our Muslim neighbors.

I am looking to open conversation with my Christian, and non-Christian, friends concerning this. Jesus did not call us to show hate instead he called us to love. Let’s begin a movement so positive that it makes voices like Terry Jones so insignificant that no one even hears it. What are some ways we can make a significant impact next September though some sort of interreligious meeting?

3 comments:

Sean Flannigan said...

Personally and where language is concerned, I think that the term "tolerance" is terrible, unless of course what people do is just tolerate. A person tolerates dog shit on the carpet because they love the dog. It shouldn't be about tolerating someone's color or belief or preference. It should be about seeing human as human, sisters and brothers all. Anyway, that's what I think.

Philip Kent Whitford said...

I always struggle with that term because, like you said, it is not enough. Just like those stupid "coexist" bumper stickers. These are points of beginning but should never be the end. It is like the very least you could do. Thank you for pointing that out.

Jeff said...

I recently had a conversation with a fairly conservative Christian who thought "tolerating" others was not an appropriate application of her faith. (we were talking about gay marriage) I was shocked and outraged that tolerance would ever be thought of as a bad quality, but I think there is a certain group of conservatives/Christians who may feel this way. I think you may be correct when you say the term respect may be a better term than tolerate. Tolerance seems to be a misunderstood term, but in a turn the other cheek love your neighbor, sermon on the mount view of the gospel; a very important component. I still do not understand her viewpoint.